Posted May 11, 2018, 3:09 pm CDT
ABAJournal.com won a national gold award for best Web News Section and the ABA Journal received an honorable mention for Magazine of the Year in its revenue category at the 2018 Azbee Awards. The awards, given by the American Society of Business Publication Editors on Thursday in Washington, D.C., recognize outstanding work by business-to-business, trade, association or professional publications.
The ABA Journal also won four other national gold awards for news features, government coverage and design. A complete list of the ABA Journal’s national Azbee awards:
National Gold Awards
Azbee Category: Online > Web News Section
Title of Entry: ABA Journal: Law News Now
Awarded to: Debra Weiss, senior writer; Sarah Mui, assistant managing editor; Stephen Rynkiewicz, web producer; Lee Rawles, associate editor; Stephanie Francis Ward, senior writer; Andrew Lefkowitz, deputy web editor
Azbee Category: Print > Impact/Investigative
Title of Entry: “Troubled Passage”
Awarded to: Stephanie Francis Ward, senior writer; Reginald Davis, managing editor
National Silver Awards
Azbee Category: Print > News Section
Title of Entry: The Docket
Awarded to: Kevin Davis, assistant managing editor; Lorelei Laird, legal affairs writer; Jason Tashea; legal affairs writer; Mark Walsh; contributing writer
Azbee Category: Print > Technical Article
Title of Entry: “Calculating Crime”
Awarded to: Jason Tashea, legal affairs writer
Azbee Category: Design > Front Cover-Photo Illustration
Title of Entry: “Erasing the News”
Awarded to: Brenan Sharp, deputy design director; Don Levey, photographer
National Bronze Award
The ABA Journal also won a number of awards for the Upper Midwest Region (consisting of Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin). All of the national winners won regional gold awards except “Troubled Law Schools,” which won a Regional Silver Award.
Also winning Regional Gold Awards:
• Legal Rebels, in the Azbee Category: Online > Web Microsite/Special Section (Non-Trade Show/Conference)
• Building the 21st-Century Law Firm, in the Azbee Category: Print > Feature Series
• Resistance Redux, in the Azbee Category: Print > Group Profile
Winning Regional Silver Awards:
Winning Regional Bronze Awards:
• Legal Tech Coverage, in the Azbee Category: Online > Online Product Review
• Judicial Nominations, in the Azbee Category: Online > Online Single Topic Coverage by a Team
• Legal Rebels, in the Azbee Category: Design > Feature Article Design > Less Than $3 Million Revenue
• Web 100 in the Azbee Category: Design > Feature Article Design > Less Than $3 Million Revenue
• “Rallying for Reform” in the Azbee Category: Design > Opening Page/Spread-Photo > Less Than $3 Million Revenue
The ABA Journal also won two Peter Lisagor Awards, which honor the best of Chicago journalism. The awards are given by the Chicago Headline Club, the nation’s largest chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists.
Updated at 10:15 p.m. to include Lisagor award-winners.
Be Sociable, Share!